Translate

23 April 2013

Interview With a Warning & Coordination Meteorologist

We have been talking for a few months now about weather events and climate issues. I feel like I have learned quite a bit, and hopefully you have too.

I thought it would be interesting to reach out and interview someone who actually works in the field of meteorology.

With help from my mentor Dr. Lance Strate and his colleague Dr. Susan Jasko I was put in touch with Warning & Coordination Meteorologist, Mr. Mark Fox.

Nyssa: First, please tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from, what is your background, and so forth?

Mark: I grew up in Oklahoma, and developed a fascination with tornadoes pretty early. I saw my first tornado when I was 9, as a F3 tornado moved through my hometown of Stillwater, Oklahoma. We lived on a hill west of town and saw the entire thing. Since then, I've been hooked.

I got a degree in meteorology from the University of Oklahoma in 1989. That same year, I began as a broadcast meteorologist. Worked in TV for about ten years, and started with the National Weather Service in 1999. 






Nyssa: So, where do you currently work and what is your position there?

Mark: I am currently the Warning & Coordination Meteorologist for the Weather Forecast Office (WFO) in Fort Worth, TX.

Nyssa: What is a typical day like for a Warning & Coordination Meteorologist? 

Mark: Ha! What is typical? Most days, I am getting ready for events in the future. I’m getting ready by meeting with our partners (Emergency Management, Media, elected officials) or spotter groups. During severe weather, I spend most of my time communicating the forecast that our office produces. That means gathering my opinions about what will happen, making sure I am on the same page as our forecasters and then communicating early and often with our partners. I’m not necessarily the one that sends the warnings, but on occasion, I am.

Nyssa:  How did you end up becoming the Warning & Coordination Meteorologist? 

Mark: Good question. I started at this office (Fort Worth) as a non-traditional meteorologist intern in 1999. I worked here for about two years before getting a general forecaster position in Amarillo, TX. While there, I worked with two of the best meteorologists (and people) you would ever hope to work for, Jose Garcia and Steve Drillette. They both mentored me, helped me to understand that meteorology is only the beginning; lives are saved based on actions taken after the warning is issued. Since that time, I've been working on how to better communicate risk information. That work led to a promotion to a senior forecaster at WFO Lubbock, then to the Regional Training Officer for the Southern Region of the National Weather Service. I started this position in August of 2009.

Nyssa: It's great that you had such positive influences; mentors can play a big role in our lives. Tell us, what is the most difficult part of your job?

Mark: Let’s just say there are meteorologists in all fields that believe that forecasters should write the forecast and nothing more. Trying to convince people with this mindset to change can be difficult.

Nyssa: That does sound frustrating! So, what part do you find the most enjoyable?

Mark: Without a doubt, helping people make good decisions based on our forecasts.

Nyssa: I was wondering, what do you think has been a big leap forward in the field of risk communication?




Mark: The big leap, in my opinion, is social media. You used to get weather information from us, or more likely from TV. You can still get that, but now you can also get the weather information from friends, family, and friends of friends. This can have a negative impact, but the more personal the threat becomes, the more likely people are going to act. (which is good)

Nyssa: Can you expand a little on the role of social media in your field?

Mark: Four years ago, social media had no role. Today, social media is a large part in what we do. Four years from now, who knows what will be next. We have to be ready.

Nyssa: What do you see for the future of storm warnings?

Mark: Storm warnings have to get more personal, and I think social media will play an increasing role. Years ago, we heard nothing until the warning was out. And then we heard nothing until the official update. Now, we hear about the storm forecast. We hear about the clouds developing. We hear about the rain and hail beginning. We hear about the hail getting bigger. We hear the warning. We then hear where the storm is. (etc.) In other words, the information around the official storm warning can be more important than the actual warning itself.

Nyssa: I too have noticed that the coverage of weather events has gotten more extensive. By me, Hurricane Irene and Sandy were on almost every channel for days. Do you think this extreme coverage is a positive for people? Or, do you feel that it is becoming too sensationalized?

Mark: How did you respond the first time you ever heard a car alarm going off? Do you even notice if a car alarm goes off now? The more we ramp up forecasts and warnings and nothing happens, that has a negative impact on people. We need to get it right, but we also need to communicate the threat more effectively.

Nyssa: That being said, what do you think is the most important thing that the public should understand about storm warnings?

Mark: Bad storms happen to good people. Storms do not discriminate, so you have to be ready. A lot of folks think bad storms happen to “other people” and not themselves. Complacency is a huge issue. Think about how many storm warnings you were in… and nothing happened? That can be a false sense of security.

Nyssa: I am going to change the topic for a minute. Climate change is an issue that I have discussed in a few of my posts. What is your stance on climate change?

Mark: The data suggests the climate has been changing. The question then becomes what is causing it? Is it natural? Has it happened before? All too often, it becomes a political argument, and that’s an argument as a scientist I’d like to stay away from.

Nyssa: I completely understand, it has become a hard issue for non-scientists to follow, I feel because of the politics. It's hard to know what is going on with all the conflicting information. So, getting back to your area of expertise, what wisdom or tip would you give to a student interested in working in the field of meteorology?

Mark: You will be wrong. Take your work seriously. Don’t take yourself too seriously.

Nyssa: Great advice for anyone! And one last thought to leave us with?

Mark: Bad storms are a matter of when…not if.

Nyssa: Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me. I really appreciate it as this interview has been very interesting. I definitely think my readers and I have learned a few things, and I know I enjoyed the interview. Good luck in all your future endeavors, and let's hope for calm weather this summer!


2 comments:

  1. I have never seen a blog interview before and I loved it! I like this format because I can get important information quickly and in an easy to read format. I really hope that you keep this up because now I count on it. Can we please have more interviews? Thank you Nyssa, for all your hard work to help us become more informed on important issues that seriously impact our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first blog interview too! I really enjoyed conducting it. I definitely plan to do more of these. I even have the next person in mind! Mark Fox was a wonderful interviewee, very nice and accommodating. So glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete