Translate

01 April 2013

Ever-Changing Wikipedia

As I was searching the web for information and tidbits to share with you all about tornadoes. I went on Wikipedia, just to check things out, and remembered my post, Naming Nemo. I wrote it back in early February and had decided to make a change to an article in Wikipedia. 

I had been writing about winter storms back then and noticed that Wikipedia was not using The Weather Channel's list of storm names for the 2012-2013 winter storm season. I noticed the page for the nor'easter back in November 2012 was titled November 2012 nor'easter instead of Winter Storm Athena. There was little information concerning the new system of naming winter storms, so I decided to update the site.

I just went back to Wikipedia, looked up The Weather Channel, and scrolled down to the section titled,
2012–13 naming winter storms. My changes are still there and someone even added to them! There is now a redirect link to a different topic: See also: Winter storm naming controversy

Also, I had listed out the storms that had occurred up until that point. Someone added more storms to the list: Pluto, Q, Rocky, and Saturn, but left the total as fifteen, instead of changing it to nineteen.

I decided to go back in and correct the storm total to twenty-two and add in the rest of the storms that occurred this season. Below is what is now posted, with my latest additions in red.

It officially named the nor'easter that hit the East Coast of the United States in November 2012 after the Greek goddess Athena. So far, in the 2012-2013 season, the Weather Channel has named twenty-two winter storms: Athena, Brutus, Caesar, Draco, Euclid, Freyr, Gandolf, Helen, Iago, Jove, Khan, Luna, Magnus, Nemo, Orko, Pluto, Q, Rocky, Saturn, Triton, Ukko, and Virgil. [24]
Multiple factors are taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to name a winter storm. This includes, but is not limited to, predicted snowfall and other precipitation, wind speeds, and the timing of the storm.[23]
The Weather Channel has provided the reasoning behind why they named some of the storms: Athena,[25] Brutus,[26] Gandolf,[27] Iago,[28] Khan,[29] Luna,[30] Magnus,[31] Nemo[32], Saturn[33], and Virgil[34].

I believe that the winter storm 2012-13 period is probably over. However, if another storm occurs either myself, or the person who made the changes before me, will update the information once again.

Next season I plan to again update this section. I will either be stating that The Weather Channel has once again released a list of names for the upcoming winter storm season, or I will be stating that The Weather Channel will no longer be naming winter storms.

It will be interesting to see if they continue this trend or if they fold under the disapproval of other weather services, like The National Weather Service!

No comments:

Post a Comment